Foundation mission

The Al Potvin Family Foundation‘s mission is to empower children and youth in Mississippi Mills to realize their potential.

Funding focus

The foundation’s funding interests are within the area of educational opportunity and non-judgemental support for local children and youth. In these areas:

Academic Reinforcement

Not all students learn the same way, or at the same pace. Tutoring is a valuable educational tool for kids who are having academic challenges at school. This category covers scholastic support related to the ongoing academic curriculum of the recipient. In these areas:

  • Private Tutoring
  • Tutoring Centres
  • Virtual Lessons


Life can be hard on kids – but they shouldn’t have to carry their burdens alone. We believe counselling is a valuable tool to support overall health and wellbeing.  This category covers mental health support for behavioural concerns and related stress management. In these areas:

  • Talk Therapy
  • Speech Therapy
  • Play, Music, Pet, or Art Therapy
  • Counselling: Grief, Guidance, Career

Life Opportunities

Educational opportunities of all types exist outside of the classroom. Sports, music, nutrition, community involvement, and travel can all support children and youth to develop their potential.  This category covers learning opportunities outside the classroom that can engage, motivate, and inspire. In these areas:

  • Sports Groups and/or Equipment
  • Music Lessons and/or Instrument
  • Travel opportunity
  • Technology Support for School Work
  • Community Service Initiatives
  • Career Planning

80% of the funds from the Al Potvin Family Foundation will be allocated to academic reinforcement and counselling opportunities, and the remaining 20% will be used for extra-curricular life experiences. All of the Foundation’s funding will be distributed through our giving partner, Upper Canada District School Board’s Champion for Kids Foundation.


Champions 4 Kids Foundation

As a Foundation, we are unable to distribute funds to specific individuals. We’ve partnered with the Upper Canada District School Board’s Champion for Kids Foundation to administer the disbursements from our Foundation exclusively to kids in Mississippi Mills, specifically those who attend:

In order to refer a child in need, please contact the principal at these institutions, they are the individuals responsible for completing the applications and requesting support. Click here for more info on referrals.

RBC & Gift Funds Canada

The Al Potvin Family Foundation has partnered with The RBC Charitable Gift Program and Charitable Gift Funds Canada Foundation (Gift Funds Canada) to administer our donation process. Gift Funds Canada is a registered charitable public foundation with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) that promotes safe and secure contributions to our philanthropic mission. They facilitate the online donation process and issue official donation receipts for individual and corporate donors.

Board of Directors

Al Potvin with his three adult children

Al’s children – his greatest legacy – have assumed stewardship for the Foundation moving forward. Chris, Janice, and Paul hold the town of Almonte, and the community of Mississippi Mills dear to their hearts.

They look forward to supporting their home community through the Al Potvin Family Foundation.

Learn more about these individuals here.

About Al Potvin

Al Potvin has demonstrated throughout his life what being a leader in community service is all about.

He has donated time and money to a variety of non-profit organizations in Mississippi Mills that support strong families, small businesses, and community pride.

Click here to read about Al, and the letter he wrote to the Mississippi Mills community about the inspiration behind his Foundation.

Al Potvin
%d bloggers like this: